9.20.2010








DEMO SET























































(image 2)

· The overall tone of the image is in keeping with the stark, high-contrast, and generally cinematic mood or energy I’d like to carry forward — image was well received.
· Remove or consider the role of the wave-energy devices.
· Perhaps investigate site or multiple sites along the Atlantic, the role of the bunker in relation to drifters or squatters.
· Perhaps abandon bunkers altogether.

(image 3)

· The overall tone of the image is in keeping with the stark, high-contrast, and generally
cinematic mood or energy I’d like to carry forward — image was best received of all.
· This was the first image I created — as a first move, this indicates the importance I place upon tone.
· Project is less an architectural project than an engineering solution.
· Steer away from having energy production as the focus of the thesis project.
· A focus on ‘site’ was said to be a likely generator for my thesis project.
· A series of acupunctural operations on a site or multiple sites.
· Develop narrative or research cultural indices to further understand site.

(image 4)

· The image is somewhat simplistic, yet I tried to overlay a second layer of information with the listing of bunker construction sites over the top of the map of France. The image doesn’t really match the energy of the first two — image wasn’t really discussed.
· Include more site information.
· Show some indication of relation to bigger picture, other cities / relevant areas.
· Shrink the scale of the detail or just make an indication of site location.

(image 5)

· The image is somewhat simplistic and doesn’t really match the energy of the first two — image wasn’t really discussed.
· Include more site information.
· Show diagrammatically the forces, operations, atmospherics, etc. at play on the site.
· A bit redundant.

(image 6)

· The model successfully showcased clean lines and a simple, unfussy aesthetic.
· It was well-received, but I could have explained at more length its significance — it was
representational model of the littoral region, well described by Paul Virilio as “a nameless country where the three interchanges [are] glimpsed: the oceanic and aerial space along with the end of emerged land.” The volume of the bunker is voided, creating a precarious balance in the model, representing the uncertain future for the structures and their meaning as well as their potential for use.
· Could have been larger.
· Wanted to use waterjet-cut glass for model; wanted to experiment with ‘valued’ materials, like porcelain clay.

(reflection)

During the review I was asked where I thought the project could go from the summer resolution, and I’d said that I thought the project was at a dead-end. Probably because of this the review focused less on the content or the narrative of the project, and more on the tone of the drawings and the logic of the proposal. For one, the project was criticized for being more of a cut-and-dry engineering operation. I agree that more emphasis should be placed upon the creation of a less engineered proposal, and instead focus on the site through architectural acupuncture. We discussed that the project should not be about harnessing energy, that this would not provide enough substance, ‘meat’ for a project that would be interesting enough to take me through the year. As far as where I see this project going, I think that it is possible to retain this site or to abandon it. What is most important, I think, is to find some sort of narrative, a project impetus that will allow the sense of energy, mood, and gravity that I would like to express. In a sense, I can see myself being drawn back in to the village atmosphere captured in Agnès Varda’s film, La Pointe Courte, where the energy of living and working seemed inscribed upon the landscape.





No comments:

Post a Comment